Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to get them playing out?

my mindees dont play out enough in the garden, they get plenty of fresh air tho as we usually go somewhere every morning either a walk in the park or zoo or sometimes just a walk to the childrens centre. But i would like them to use the garden more.

at this time of year i block of the grass area and just let them on the patio which is small but still room enough to play. but when i let them out they want to come in after 5 mins!

on the patio i have a few ride ons, a little tikes house, sandpit and some balls. they sandpit i know needs cleaning as its full of algae so i am going to empty it today and just things like dried pasta in it for them to play in during the winter.

but waas just wondering what else you could have on a patio to play with?

i have a little slide and 3 tot rocker but they are in the grass which i dont want ruining, would it be safe enough to put these on the patio or decking or is that a no no?

also any other suggestion of what could go in the sandpit?

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to get them playing out?

you can get little crash mats to go at the bottom of the slide, i sometimes just put rice in my sandpit, the kids live it, i hide little things in there and the very little ones love looking for them. my mindees love being outside when im outside with them but if im inside while they are outside they will only last 10mins or so. xxx

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We take whatever we are playing outside with us ! Things do get dirty , but they wash!

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    We take whatever we are playing outside with us ! Things do get dirty , but they wash!
    i know we are supposed to let them do that, but i like my inside toys to stay indoors. my patio quite often is a bit mucky with a few leaves etc and i will not have my toys ruined. its different in summer when they are taking dollies out to have a picnic etc.

i want them to be able to just put thier coats on and go out without me having to clean all the area first or set things out.

ReReg10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

i have fake grass so this is not an issue....but i still have problems getting them out.

the only thing they want to play on is the trampoline, but of course there s always one that has to get carried away so i have to restrict & regulate play on there!......they also cant play on the trampoline without shrieking

how about a gardening tub for them each that they can care for during the year? nothing will grow atm but they can make there own flowers to stick in

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

how about a gardening tub for them each that they can care for during the year? nothing will grow atm but they can make there own flowers to stick in [/QUOTE]

oooh thats a fab idea , its a year long thing they can each do and be proud of, i might steal it if thats ok? xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have so many fab ideas and I plan them for every day...

But at the moment I only have one child who actually likes going outside!

The rest either stand by the door sobbing and asking to go in or the older ones complain it's getting cold in the house

Many moons ago I actually had a parent comment her son was complaining at home that I 'made' him go out ... and could I please stop because she's told him he doesn't have to go out any more if he doesn't want!! i am sure that happens a lot more than we realise.

So we are going for lots and lots of nature walks finding twigs to wrap in ribbon, bits of foliage to put in baskets for sorting, minibeasts to investigate etc.

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I know my children wouldn't go outside to just play on my patio as it's not very interesting and not enough space. My grass is very very boggy but that is what they love. I have done loads of research recently on natural play so I don't have many "plastic" resources and imo playing outside is not just about taking indoor resources outside. My children dig, get dirty, make mud pies, create natural art, make dens. We have a veg patch and a green house that the children have free access too so we are growing all year round. We even have leeks and sprouts in at the moment.

I know my way is not for everyone and I admit I was a very different type of practitioner before I started studying for my degree. However I have done extensive research and this is what works for me .

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I have so many fab ideas and I plan them for every day...

But at the moment I only have one child who actually likes going outside!

The rest either stand by the door sobbing and asking to go in or the older ones complain it's getting cold in the house

Many moons ago I actually had a parent comment her son was complaining at home that I 'made' him go out ... and could I please stop because she's told him he doesn't have to go out any more if he doesn't want!! i am sure that happens a lot more than we realise.

So we are going for lots and lots of nature walks finding twigs to wrap in ribbon, bits of foliage to put in baskets for sorting, minibeasts to investigate etc.

mine want to go outside, but when they get out there they are wanting to come in after 10 mins, they are all around 2 and its such a faff getting getting coats and shoes on just on for 10 mins thats why i thought i might make it a bit more interesting, it would be great if they could go out while i am preparing lunch, the kitchen is overlooking the patio and i would leave the kitchen door open so i could see and hear them at all times. They could also go out for the hour or so after sleep time and before parents come.

we do lots of planting in the spring and summer when the grass is accesable and things will grow but its more ideas for patio toys i was after.

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

how about some art/creft supplies out there and easel, i sometimes put my easel out there with chalk, paint, white board markers, they do make a mess but i just hose it all down once they go home?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Chalks are good. All my mindees love chalking and it quickly washes away in the rain.

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    I know my children wouldn't go outside to just play on my patio as it's not very interesting and not enough space. My grass is very very boggy but that is what they love. I have done loads of research recently on natural play so I don't have many "plastic" resources and imo playing outside is not just about taking indoor resources outside. My children dig, get dirty, make mud pies, create natural art, make dens. We have a veg patch and a green house that the children have free access too so we are growing all year round. We even have leeks and sprouts in at the moment.

I know my way is not for everyone and I admit I was a very different type of practitioner before I started studying for my degree. However I have done extensive research and this is what works for me .
    can i ask where you get ideas for natural play and resources please or any good links? I to think that natural stuff is best,,, we go for walks in the woods and collect some stuff and i have an allotment which they take part in looking after, growing and eating the stuff,, but I am stuck for ideas for the garden,,,

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had a cover put over my patio last year (photos on my www.knutsfordchildminding.co.uk website) and that helps a lot.
    Last edited by sarah707; 27-05-2011 at 07:35 AM.

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

what materials do you all use for den building?? I have blankets but thats about it ,,, need some insperation!

onceinabluemoon Guest

How about some big (painters) paint brushes and a bucket of water? My mindees love the 'paint' the house and because it's just clean water (or you could add some bubbles) it doesn't mark or stain and if they get wet clothes they can go in the dryer for ten minutes.

They also like to dig in compost, it's a different texture to sand and they feel as if they are gardening. In the summer we bought some shells to hide in it for them to treasure hunt.

My grassy area if a bog in the winter too so they only have the patio and path to play on.

I know this is a daft question but do you go out with them? It sounds from your post as if you let them go out and watch them from indoors (but I might have misunderstood?), perhpas if you go out too and throw a softball or draw chalk roads on the patio to drive cars around it may encourage them to spend more time out there?

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I am outside with mine most of the time but sometimes I am indoors,, depends on the day of the week as some days I have a baby who crawls not walks so gets bored being outside for too long,, if i am out there we feed the rabbits/guineapigs together and play ball or get the chalks out or i build sand castles with them etc

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I will probably get slated for this, but sometimes I think there is to much pressure put on us for our children to 'play' outside during the really cold months. All children are different and that means some will love the outside and some hate it. I can remember crying as a child in the playground at nursery and school. I have always felt the cold and have not changed It doesn't matter how many layers I have on I'm still cold. I think providing we get out at some point during the day to do school runs or walks to the shops, library etc thats fine. Obviously if its a nice day we might take a detour through the park, but I'm not standing in the pouring rain for anyone From March through to October my garden is well used, but I'm afraid Nov - Feb, whilst my Central heating is on all day the doors stay shut and warmth stays in

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post
    How about some big (painters) paint brushes and a bucket of water? My mindees love the 'paint' the house and because it's just clean water (or you could add some bubbles) it doesn't mark or stain and if they get wet clothes they can go in the dryer for ten minutes.

They also like to dig in compost, it's a different texture to sand and they feel as if they are gardening. In the summer we bought some shells to hide in it for them to treasure hunt.

My grassy area if a bog in the winter too so they only have the patio and path to play on.

I know this is a daft question but do you go out with them? It sounds from your post as if you let them go out and watch them from indoors (but I might have misunderstood?), perhpas if you go out too and throw a softball or draw chalk roads on the patio to drive cars around it may encourage them to spend more time out there?
    i do go out with them sometimes ! lol would also like them to be able to play independantly too.

i agree with playmate that going out in all weathers is not much fun and sometimes we have complete days in, i dont agree with chucking them out or even letting them play out in pouring rain or when its -10 like we have had, shoot me down but i tell them no its too cold/wet as i dont want to stand in it either! lol

chalking is a brill idea, was always a bit worried that it would stain the patio but will def give it a go and see.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mushpea View Post
    what materials do you all use for den building?? I have blankets but thats about it ,,, need some insperation!
    The woman who ran the den building session i went to said anything can be turned into a den. Blankets, sheets, materials, twigs, pieces of wood, string, ribbon, cardboard, newspaper
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Here's some information / planning about outside play I wrote for the parents.

It's an attempt to get parents on side because many of them aren't convinced their children should be outside in all weathers.

I had a cover put over my patio last year (photos on my www.knutsfordchildminding.co.uk website) and that helps a lot.

CP means 'continuous provision' it's the stuff I have out all / most of the time.

I hope you find it inspiring
    Sarah can I ask where you got the cover from? It looks brill and I have been looking at awnings and thay cost £250 min

Also I have bought your ebook on outdoor play and there are lots of ideas there Thanks once again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast