Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Characteristics of effective learning

I am seeing some very worrying documents from local authorities asking childminders to tick off when they have observed characteristics in the children's play.

One even suggests childminders highlight in red when a characteristic has not been observed!!

And a lot of childminders are asking me questions about the characteristics which shows that there are lots of uncertainties and question marks about how to use them.

First let's think about what they are NOT -

The characteristics are NOT outcomes like the learning and development goals... they are NOT something to be achieved... they are NOT things to worry about if you don't spot a child displaying one or the other!

Characteristics are the ways children learn and every child is different and will display a range of characteristics.

Characteristics are designed to help us spot how a child learns so we can better plan for their future learning... but they do not need to be linked to every observation we make or feature in every assessment / plan!

I suggest childminders do some further reading about the characteristics and how they should be used... especially if your training left things unclear... remember the revised EYFS start date is only a few weeks away now!

I hope this helps clarify things a little

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I agree. I did my training yesterday and my heart was sinking as they seemed to expect characteristics of learning to be linked to obs and plans... and positive relationships and enabling environments. I think my next steps cover this but not with a written link to each bit of the new EYFS. Just seems like more paperwork not less. Feeling fed up!

No I will be rebellious. I am not doing more paperwork. NO, NO, NO!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

can i suggest everyone buys and reads sarahs wonderful book on characteristics of effective learning!

i took it away on holiday with me ( on my kindle ) and read it several times, making lots of notes explains everything so easily!

thank you sarah!

i am going to add a box to my summative assesments that i do every 6 mths, saying how a child is learning.

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post

... remember the revised EYFS start date is only a few weeks away now!
    AGGHHH !!!

I am finding it all a bit overwhelming and I'm taking on a course in September and just thinking HELP!!!

everytime I think I am getting to grips with the new EYFS something else crops up making it seem more complcated or something I have overlooked and I think Oh NO!!

May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah!
    From what I had read I thought it needed to be added to our planning and observations and I have already redesigned my obs sheets to include it!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by *Katrina* View Post
    Thanks Sarah!
    From what I had read I thought it needed to be added to our planning and observations and I have already redesigned my obs sheets to include it!
    There is absolutely no harm in noting if you spot a child displaying a new or different characteristic during an observation.

I am just trying to reassure people that they are not outcomes - you don't have to look for them every time you do an observation.

I have had so many childminders asking me why their LAs expect observations, assessments and characteristics... when obs and assessments change but characteristics pretty much stay the same.

Every single childminder who knows their children and clues into their interests already knows a child's characteristics... their learning styles... the ways you can involve them in learning... the interests you can follow...

You are doing it already - just be aware of it from now on!

Penny1959 Guest

I agree with Sarah about what the characteristics of learning are NOT.

It says in 1.10 In planning and guiding children's activities, practitioners must reflect on the different ways that children learn and must reflect these in their practice.

Damn good idea really - to THINK about - to REFLECT on - as it will help the children to learn and develop. BUT each child will display these characteristics at different times of their development, at different times of the day and during different activities.

Lets take ME -
    Doing written planning you might say I will display 'playing and exploring; as I will investigate, and experience - I will have a go BUT I certainly will not display the other two characteristics.

But let me plan in my head and make changes as and when I think I need to - I will display all three!

As Sarah has said -if you want to link to everything you can - it is your setting - therefore it is right for your setting.

But if you don't want to because you feel you don't need then that is right for you and your setting.

As with all things EYFS - there s not one right way - and no one should be made to feel they must do things in a certain way.

I intend to do things 'my way' - the way that works for me and that means I am cutting down on all paperwork - I will instead be spending time ensuring that the children in my care are making excellent progress AND learning through play - the evidence will be there - through photo's and a few notes in my diary and the children's diary - but mainly will be evidence through the children themselves.

I have decided that I will still be an outstanding childminder by my own criteria (and hopefully by the parents and children as well) but to be honest if Ofsted or my LA disagree and want to downgrade me - they may - in my heart and through my research - I know that paperwork does not improve outcomes for children - all it does is take up my time and cause me stress.

Time to stand up for what I believe in - time will tell what Ofsted and LA think!

Opps - sorry - got on my soap box again

Penny

8. Likes mayberry, primula liked this post
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penny1959 View Post

Lets take ME -
    Doing written planning you might say I will display 'playing and exploring; as I will investigate, and experience - I will have a go BUT I certainly will not display the other two characteristics.

Time to stand up for what I believe in - time will tell what Ofsted and LA think!

Opps - sorry - got on my soap box again

Penny
    I've sat down and spent a lot of time trying to get to grips with this new EYFS thing - think I'm getting there but there is so much to think about - especially as I was told to improve my obs/leaning journals etc so its a perfect time to overhaul EVERYTHING!!
    I really appreciate all the sharing!

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The training on the revised EYFS that I received left me very confused. Thanks for the explaination

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this, the new EYFS is confusing me too and new things just keep cropping up that weren't even covered at our EYFS 2012 courses.
    I have 3 new little ones starting in September so at least I can start afresh and go from there!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had only part-timers so far and couldn't really plan for them in advance much...well i did written plans/ themes for each term...but there was always lots of activities that came out in between and i didn't know where to write it down...now i changed my weekly plan tables -added space > "We also did: " :-)
    i am doing diaries for children but didn't realize i can make my own diary to keep as well :-P
    thank you all for advice...
    i don't know what i will do without this forum ;-)
    Last edited by emimihkos; 21-08-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emimihkos View Post
    I had only part-timers so far and couldn't really plan for them in advance much...well i did written plans/ themes for each term...but there was always lots of activities that came out in between and i didn't know where to write it down...now i changed my weekly plan tables -added space > "We also did: " :-)
    i am doing diaries for children but didn't realize i can make my own diary to keep as well :-P
    thank you all for advice...
    i don't know what i will do without this forum ;-)
    Excellent idea!

I have space to write in things that happen which aren't planned too like today when they decided to make dens after we had read a book about a bear in the forest

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by *Katrina* View Post
    Thanks Sarah!
    would you mind sharing what you have changed/amended/added im soooo confused about all this at the moment x
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know, if I buy an ebook off Sarah is there a way I could read it on my iPhone like I'm reading a book not an email, an app I can download or something.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Does anyone know, if I buy an ebook off Sarah is there a way I could read it on my iPhone like I'm reading a book not an email, an app I can download or something.
    I was just thinking the same thing after loocyloo mentioned she read them on her kindle - I use ibooks and it would be great to have the ability to read them on here - over to you Sarah707 I guess!
    Francine X

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    They work on kindle / moby - I have no idea about other devices.

A few members have shared ideas and tips here

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/...d.php?t=105816

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    how do you use the characteristics of effective learning? do you highlight the same way you do the learning statements when you have observed and then write on the assessments which characteristic they most fit in to? and what do you put on your observation sheets? I am so confused it wasn't mentioned on my course.
    Karen

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kareninluton View Post
    Hi
    how do you use the characteristics of effective learning? do you highlight the same way you do the learning statements when you have observed and then write on the assessments which characteristic they most fit in to? and what do you put on your observation sheets? I am so confused it wasn't mentioned on my course.
    Karen
    The characteristics are a bit like noticing a child's personality - what makes him tick? How does he approach his learning? Does he concentrate well or flit around? What are his interests? When does he pay attention? Can he link different learning together from nursery, home and yours?...

They are not outcomes - you don't grade a child by how they learn.

Instead you note how they learn to help you set up appropriate opportunities for them to learn even more - because by following their interests they are more likely to WANT to learn.

I intend to use them as part of my assessments

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We have been given a new obs sheet by our LA which includes boxes with the characteristics of learning, so presumably they are expecting us to tick the boxes!!! Our training was next to useless.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have made a form to fill every 3 months with next steps - based on previous obs.
    7 boxes labelled for areas and one for characteristics to write a bit about the childs way of learning that I may have noted to help with future plans

hoping that will be ok for it? trying to keep it simple
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast