Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    may 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Data Protection REgister

I was told that I need to registered on the Data Protection register, as I will be observing and taking photos of children.

Could anyone advice if this is the case and how I would go about it.

Thanks

Noreen.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to register with the Information Commisioners Office (IOC). It costs £35pa. Here is a link to the website which is a bit of a maze! I rang them and got them to send me the forms.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/what_we_cover/..._register.aspx

onceinabluemoon Guest

I rang them too and told them I didn't understand the forms so they filled it out over the phone and are sending it to me.

I was tempted to ask them how paying them £35 a year kept the data safe but decided this probably wasn't prudent...

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post
    I rang them too and told them I didn't understand the forms so they filled it out over the phone and are sending it to me.

I was tempted to ask them how paying them £35 a year kept the data safe but decided this probably wasn't prudent...
    Lol! Should have done, it's just another cost for us to shell out.

may 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'll call them too.

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks of this as i didn't know we needed this, why aren't we told these things

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the topic came up briefly on my ICP, but i can't remember them saying we needed to sign up to it. Possibly did, i might have been daydreaming at that point after being inundated with lots of other paperwork.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I rang them and explained what we did, they said we did not have to register. I have kept note of who I spoke to, date and time etc.

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I've emailed them also to see whats what.

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

My email reply....

Thank you for your email of today regarding notification. All childminders who use a computer and/or digital camera to record the development of the children in their care are required to notify, as this is classed as electronic processing for a non exempt purpose.

You can start the application process on-line at http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisati..._or_renew.aspx or by telephoning our Notification Helpline on 01625 545740.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy123lulu View Post
    I rang them and explained what we did, they said we did not have to register. I have kept note of who I spoke to, date and time etc.
    Childminders are required to register with the Information Commissioners Office (www.ico.org.uk) if...

You have a digital camera to take photos of childminded children

You use a computer to store any info about children or their families

You write a letter to children's parents on a computer (even if you delete it)

You use an online recording system for learning journeys

You send emails with info about children / photos attached

You have a website and put photos on it

You send photos away to be processed

You use your mobile phone to take or send photos

You take a digital photo of a child, process it and delete it immediately.

This list is not exhaustive.

Registration costs £35 and is renewable annually.

There is no benefit to registering except you are not working legally unless you are registered.

Hth

Sept 11
    Post Thanks / Like

hi just seen this, do you have to register on this before your pre-reg visit? is it wise to register now so you no it's done etc? thanks!

May '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post
    Now behave!!!!! Sometimes you have to bite your tongue don't you - it's not as though they give you a course to show you all the ways you should be taking care of your data!!!!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nikkiross1 View Post
    hi just seen this, do you have to register on this before your pre-reg visit? is it wise to register now so you no it's done etc? thanks!
    No because you are not a data handler yet... you only need to register when you start working

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen a childminder that has a instant print attachment for her camera if she prints them off straight away would she still be liable to pay the £35 a year. It seems a lot of money!
    I also think that if you upload photos to a computer and then delete them straight away you are not actually storing any data!?
    I was advised by my childcare development worker to go through business link as there is a self assessment tool as to whether you really do require this. She said it completely depends on your circumstances and the tool is multiple choice so you get an answer relevant to you. If you phone they will hear the word childminder and automatically say yes so the online tool is better.
    I love that they claim there is no benefit whatsoever to registering apart from to be not working legally unless you do!
    Do ofsted themselves give any guidelines on this???

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blue-lion View Post
    I have seen a childminder that has a instant print attachment for her camera if she prints them off straight away would she still be liable to pay the £35 a year. It seems a lot of money!
    I also think that if you upload photos to a computer and then delete them straight away you are not actually storing any data!?
    I was advised by my childcare development worker to go through business link as there is a self assessment tool as to whether you really do require this. She said it completely depends on your circumstances and the tool is multiple choice so you get an answer relevant to you. If you phone they will hear the word childminder and automatically say yes so the online tool is better.
    I love that they claim there is no benefit whatsoever to registering apart from to be not working legally unless you do!
    Do ofsted themselves give any guidelines on this???
    By taking a photo on a digital camera, regardless of what you do with it, you are considered a data handler... so you need to register.

No Ofsted do not have guidelines and there is nothing in the Eyfs or other statutory childminding material.

The ICO are a Govt body separate to Ofsted and therefore act independently.

Hth

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi i had my pre reg meeting yesterday and i asked Mrs O about this and she said i didn't need it as long as i didn't store any photos/childs information on my computer.

if i was planning on emailing parents the daily diary or keeping observations/info on the computer then i would.

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicadooby View Post
    Hi i had my pre reg meeting yesterday and i asked Mrs O about this and she said i didn't need it as long as i didn't store any photos/childs information on my computer.

if i was planning on emailing parents the daily diary or keeping observations/info on the computer then i would.
    My ESCO (support officer) emailed us with regard to this and basically said if you take a picture on a digital camera you need to be registered regardless of whether you delete it, save it or whatever! Just more money to shell out! Oh well - tax deductable